Do Anglers Have Small Rods?

Written by PETA | July 22, 2010

“When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: But when I became a man, I put away childish things.”
1 Corinthians 13:11

When I was a child (in 1976), I entered—and “won”—a fishing contest. But when I became a man, I put away the childish rod and reel because I had learned that real men are kind to animals.

Ruler

A recent study suggests that men tend to overcompensate when their masculinity is threatened, and this feeling of inadequacy can manifest itself as aggression toward others. So our friends at PETA U.K. are asking a question: Do anglers have small rods? Maybe they’re overcompensating for something. I mean, why would a grown-up impale animals with a hook, pull them up out of the water, and let them slowly suffocate? Especially when we now know that fish are complex and intelligent individuals who experience terror and suffering just as land animals do. If anglers treated cats the way they treat fish, they could be put in prison on cruelty charges!

Head over to DoAnglersHaveSmallRods.com to see what’s going on. And if you’re not someone who stakes your manhood on the state of your tackle box, click here to find out what you can do to help fish.

Written by Jeff Mackey

Comments

• Kurt K says:

Hastaroth Because I love my father and I love to eat fish. Does that answer your question? You see troller is just stating the fact that most people live in reality and understand that a fish and a father are not equal. Furthermore troller and I probably wouldn’t equate any animal to our family members or most humans. Admittingly there are a few people in this world that I would compare to certain animals but none that are very close to me.

• Hastaroth says:

To “troller”it is YOUR argument that is flawed and not the reverend’s. To prove the ridiculousness of your statement”if you wouldn’t eat your fatherwhy eat your pet fish”?

• troller says:

Rev. Meg Schramm Your point is fundamentally flawed you are assuming that we should treat all animals equally. That is not possible. We reel in fish because they are fish and we don’t reel in dogs because they are dogs not to mention dogs are terrestrial animals. To prove the ridiculousness of your statement “If you wouldn’t incarcerate a philanthropist why do it to a murderer?” Ridiculous. Not everything is equal. This you must admit.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

I like the print ad PETA published showing a frightened dog with a fishook in her lip being reeled in by an unseen fisherman. I believe the tagline said “If you wouldn’t do this to a dog why do it to a fish?”

• margaret watts says:

that story from the reverence tells it all we have compartmentalized minds when it comes to animals. petting the fish then hooking them through their lips petting the dog and eating the chicken. PETA plse post again that banner you have the one with the dog with the chicken head saying “If your dog tasted like chicken would you eat him? What’s the difference?” i love that banner. Try it with a fish head maybe? makes people do a doubletake.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

Here’s a good one… As an nondenominational Christian minister I get requests to officiate at weddings just about everywhere in California. A few years ago I officiated at a wedding at a fish hatchery in Independence just outside of Yosemite. After the ceremony I was looking at the nursery tanks filled with young fish no idea what breed they were. I put my hand in the water and immediately they swam over and brushed against my hand rolling to have their bellies scratched and swimming under my fingers so I could rub their backs. They showed no fear of me or any other human because they were hand fed in fact one of the workers allowed me to feed them. As we left for the reception I noticed an announcement for the annual Father’s Day fishing tournament to be held at the hatchery in two weeks. The participants were going to be allowed to fish in the nursery tanks the winners for the largest fish caught would win a trip to Disneyland or some such thing. The fish did not stand a chance one they are in a tank not a lake or stream two they have been taught that all people are friendly and mean them no harm three this is not a catch and release situation all fish caught would be processed at the hatchery and given to the participants to take home and eat. I sometimes feel that the entire human race is Judas as far as animals are concerned.