Al Gore to the Public: Do as I Say, Not as I Do

Written by PETA | July 22, 2008

Al Gore admitted to an audience at a political blogger conference that he may, indeed, be bad for the environment and guilty of contributing to global warming. Why? Because he just can’t seem to stop eating meat, which is more harmful to the global warming crisis (which Gore is known for being a teeny bit fanatical about) than all of the world’s cars, trucks, SUVs, and planes combined!

Al_Gore_billboard_environment_1.jpg

According to Ezra Klein at Prospect.org, Gore said, “It is true that it would be healthier for us as individuals and as a planet if we consumed less meat. I acknowledge that. … I myself am a meat eater and maybe that’s had some effect” (emphasis mine). How did he go from acknowledging that vegetarianism is better for individuals and the planet to saying that maybe his choice to eat animals has some negative effect?

Without committing to any changes in the present, Al Gore explains that he “plead[s] guilty” and that we must “walk before we can run.” Seriously? He doesn’t know how to walk the walk on this issue? Have we not been clear enough with this guy? We’d love to love you, Al, but please stop clinging to the one thing that is so devastating for the world while asking everyone else to drop their bad habits.

What’s next, M.A.D.D. beer cozies sized to fit in your car’s cup holder? Ugh.

Posted by Sean Conner

Comments

• Brad says:

This isn’t the first time Al has been caught being a hypocrite. He has famously told young people to chain themselves to bulldozers but he refuses to be arrested with them. Way to go PETA!

• Judith says:

Saucy! Kucinich is wonderful! He is here in Calif where we are having a fundraiser in L.A for him. We must make sure he is elected again in Ohio! My husband and I supported his run for President. He is truly a remarkable man and he and his lovely wife Elizabeth are both vegans. He would be an amazing President! Most of my heroes wear masks! Peace for all animals!

• Sugarglasses says:

Hey it’s not Al Gore fault that he can’t stop eating meat it’s that animals fault for being delicious. Remember for every animal you don’t eat Al Gore will eat three…

• sundance says:

You think Al Gore is a hypocrite for living like most people do or want to in this country? Oprah goes on TV everyday of the year where she tells people they will feel better if they just buy more gadgets and makeup. She pimps consummerism nonstop and nobody is calling her a hypocrit. Have your favorite vegan fashionistas given up plush houses jet planes or air conditioning so they can walk their talk? Everybody in this country living above the poverty line is killing the planet. At least Al Gore spent his time getting Americans to learn to say ‘Global Warming’. PETA cannot expect any respect if they are just going to nit pick people they don’t like. PETA should stick to the main issue they are known for…Ethical Treatment of Animals….constantly reaching into the global warming arguement distracts from the issues of animal cruelty. There are plenty of organizations working on the environment. And I do agree totally that meat production is related to global warming…however global warming is not cuasing the unnecessary suffering of millions of innocent farm animals lab animals and other caged creatures.

• Saucy says:

There is only one politician in Washington that I have any regards for whatsoever and that is Dennis Kucinich. If Al Gore really wanted to do something important for the environment he should have demanded a recount in Florida.

• Judith says:

Anne you are right. When Gore was on 60 minutes about 4 or 5 months ago they were at his home and in the background were plenty of cattle. And I can bet that they were not Sanctuary babies! Unbelievable! Liars. Don’t do as I do do as I say. Most of my heroes wear masks! Peace for all animals!

• pa says:

PETA? overreacting indeed. being a vegetarian will save the world? come on!! producing everything in this world affects the world…you care for animals?let’s also care for the world… animaleaters you are not but hey…just go on with the lettucelady promo and start wearing vegetables ALL THE TIME and we’ll be VEGETARIANS!!

• Anne says:

isn’t al gore’s daddy a cattle farmer? he’s just like the rest of them. he’s a hypocrite.

• Ana says:

I agree with Bill.

• Judith says:

Al do the right thing! The world is counting on you! But give up meat for the ethical reason and I promise you will never go back! Peace for all animals! Most of my heroes wear masks!

• Maya, CVT says:

Sundance I totally agree with you. Some people aren’t as lucky as we were growing up with parents and friends who supported animal rights. I was educated about this by neighbors friends teachers and a single mom. I was so lucky! People like Gore probably grew up surrounded by people who badmouthed vegetarians. Of course now he must take responsibility but as he said he has to walk first. He took the first step. He is my hero because he had the balls to say what no one wanted to hear that we’ve ruined the planet. He caught tons of shit for that. If y’all don’t think that environmental destruction causes animals to suffer I’ve got bad news. I bet there are tons of people who claim to suddenly go vegetarian and then go back to eating meat. Gore is going slowly which means that he’s serious about change for good not for a few weeks.

• Soliel says:

I think Al Gore deserves praises for his film however he deserves a hefty amount of criticism too. What does it say about his character to forget the important fact about meat eating? Not much. It’s either ego or ignorance not sure which is worse. Gore has a life most of us can only dream of with wealth a beautiful family and prestige…if he can’t at least speak about the evils of meat while many of us who have so much less DO I am not sure he deserves that much respect. It is indeed very hypocritical for someone like him to not live as he preaches. He needs to walk the talk and speak the whole truth.

• sundance says:

Oh Come On what is it with Gore? Oprah goes on a special diet for a couple weeks and she’s a hero. I did not hear where beloved Oprah gave up all meat plus she is known to have a bit of a weight issue like Gore and she is living a pretty amazingly rich life like Gore…yet she manages to get your approval. Gore has at least taken one step…and acknowledged he is a meat eating hipocrite…yet you want to trash him for it. It takes A LOT of courage for a public person to question their entire belief system and look at their food in a new way. Give him a hand not the back of your hand and maybe it will not be his last step on this path. I’d like to send Gore a recipe for some killer Korean BBQ style tofu I’m making this week and ask him to give it a whirl instead of blaming him for ALL of the planet’s problems. PS you think any of your other super modelacting friends that have gone vegan get any any type of personal satisfaction by being public figures. Be fair!

• Carla says:

Al Gore may finally be acknowledging!?? Pressure may be coming to strong for him to shy away from it the truth!! Thanks Peta we’re backing you up!!

• roxanne says:

Gore please try to go meatless. You will see how great the change is and you can make a movie about it.

• Brandie R says:

Well I guess I can give him half a snap for admitting he aides in something he was trying to change and educate people on. How contradicting. People have excuses for everything they do. And every excuse people give towards their behaviors and why they can’t or won’t change is a cop out. He’s no different.

• Eric Silberstein says:

Well admitting it is one thing and it’s an important thing however I’m under the impression he’s not going to change. I think if you’re going to “front a movement” it would be important to follow through and do everything you can to make sure youre setting the example. Now if Al Gore were to say “I’m sorry even though an animalbased diet is bad for the environment I still eat meat. But as one who advocates for a cleaner world it is my responsibility to change so that all aspects of my life are environmentallyfriendly including becoming a vegetarian.” then he would definitely get my support. However it seems to me he’s just saying “I’m sorry even though an animalbased diet is bad for the environment I still eat meat.” Would you follow someone who can’t back up his words with actions. COME ON AL PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!

• Bill says:

Gore is a joke. He doesn’t really care about global warming. He just exploits whatever issue he thinks will help him achieve his one real goal selfagrandizement. Crusading against youth culture didn’t work so now he pretends to care about the environment.

• Maya, CVT says:

I have to say I’m sorely disappointed in PETA for this. He’s obviously been in denial about this for a long time. Most of the time I find that guilt and shame overwhelm people and they sink into a hole. The guy is finally sowing the seeds for real change. Most people don’t even get to this stage PETA which is why so many factory farm animals are suffering. But instead of watering the seeds you stomp on them. Are you guys really so angry that you put your negative emotions over change? Look PETA put a ton of pressure on Gore and it’s beginning to work. I’m so excited that you guys got him to discuss this issue. Now keep up the pressure but in a positive way. He’s a nobel prize winner. America is not going to stop loving this guy. If you can praise factory farms for killing animals in a “less” cruel manner you can certainly praise Gore for being able to change his position and risking ridicule. Obama is for protecting the planet but only for social justice. He doesn’t give a shit about wildlife whereas Gore mentions respect for wildlife all the time. Please keep up the pressure don’t give up on Gore!