22 Charges Filed Based on PETA Investigation at Hormel Supplier

Written by PETA | October 22, 2008

It’s with a proud and ecstatic heart that I report this news today! Our investigation into an Iowa pig farm that breeds piglets destined for Hormel has resulted in 22—that’s right, count them—22 criminal charges.

The Greene County Sheriff just announced in a news release that six individuals employed by the farm at the time of PETA’s investigation now face a total of 22 counts of livestock neglect and abuse. Those charged include a former farm manager—who we understand still works on another pig factory farm—and a supervisor, as well as two individuals who still punch the clock at the Iowa factory farm as we speak.

A whopping 14 of the counts are aggravated misdemeanors—the stiffest possible charges under Iowa state law for crimes committed against farmed animals—carrying up to two years behind bars. To PETA’s knowledge, this is unprecedented.

Charges based on PETA’s undercover investigations are now pending against pig factory farmers in both Iowa—the nation’s top pig-raising state—and North Carolina, which occupies the second rung on that dubious list!

This is a small victory for farmed animals, but we mustn’t forget that Hormel, which financially supports this farm, has by all appearances yet to make any changes as a result of this investigation. It has refused to meet with us or even watch all of the footage, which we have repeatedly offered to show the company. Maybe now that the law has spoken up, Hormel will finally listen.

Please, urge Hormel to take action now.

Written by Christine Doré

Comments

• Nila says:

I’m glad that someone finally found this out. It just makes you wonder about all the other cruelty going on in other places. Bless you for helping those helpless animals. They are on death row anyway but at least let them have a somewhat good life and be treated good as long as they live.They do have feelings and their own personalities! I don’t think the charges against those people were good enough but at least they have some punishment and are not around the helpless pigs anymore!

• Patt says:

Hats off to PETA!!! Outstanding efforts on this horrible situation in Iowa. Chrissy…I have also been haunted by the images I saw on the video. I am not meatfree but I stopped eating pork and no longer purchase Hormel products. I sent the link to my family friends coworkers and they sent letters to Hormel. Hormel responded by saying the pig farm involved was “not a Hormel site” but did not deny the farm was a supplier. I hope the people who go undercover for PETA are paid well I would not be strong enough to do what they have to do. But we are so GRATEFUL for them and all that they do for the sake of decency and humane treatment of dependent and defenseless helpless animals. I will never understand how any human being could be so EVIL and cruel. Thank you PETA and thank you ‘undercover heroes’ for bringing justice to these monsters and hopefully reform to laws that are lacking. Go PETA!!

• lynda downie says:

Thanks Peta investigators for enduring this experience to expose this hidden violence!

• Susan O'Keefe says:

For the life of me I cannot understand the actions of these criminals. We cull animals deemed to be of no value so why can’t we cull humans who are of no value.The life of any animal is worth more than these defected so called humans. The human gene pool can only improve without these lowlives.I hope they suffer a life of horror after what they did to these animals.

• diane Beelman says:

I love you guys!!! It is hard to believe there are people like this in the world!!!! This is another reason I don’t eat meat. Keep up the good work.

• Natalie says:

It takes a great deal of courage to go in and investigate this sort of issuesituation. I don’t know how you did it without giving yourself away in disgust. It’s amazing that this is exposed and something is going to be done about it. Thank you PETA for exposing this disgusting and absolutely unacceptable behaviour. It makes me tremendously upset when I hear animals suffering through this vicious treatment.

• jules bowe says:

Thanks peta for going under cover and exposing these horrible people they should be locked up for maximum time and never be allowed to be alone with animals or children ever again. thankyou thank you

• shannon says:

Hormel your not the only company and you are going to suffer as we are going to do whatever we can to get as many people as we can to boycott your animal abusing farm. HORMEL BLOOD SICK MINDS.

• Little Drummer Boy says:

Great blog here great statements and a great job PETA! I bless this day!

• Edson says:

BRAVO! Those loosers are going to get what they deserve. I don’t wish anyone bad but these ASO’s deserve a big punishment and should be treated or worse than those animals that are so innocent. I will let everyone know and im sure they will b happy!

• here are the list of abusers says:

Greene County authorities on Wednesday charged six farm workers with animal abuse and neglect in connection with a video showing abuse of pigs. Those charged were Jordan M. Anderson 26 of Audubon a former onsite manager aiding and abetting livestock abusetwo counts aggravated misdemeanor and Livestock Neglect one count simple misdemeanor. Greg W. Hackler 18 of Jefferson a former employee Livestock abuse two counts aggravated misdemeanor. Shawn M. Lyons 35 of Bayard still employed Livestock neglect one count simple misdemeanor. Shelly A. Mauch 34 of Scranton still employed Livestock neglect one count simple misdemeanor. Richard M. Ralston 27 of Bayard a former employee Livestock abuse five counts aggravated misdemeanor. Alan B. Rettig 60 of Scranton a former employee Livestock abuse five counts aggravated misdemeanor Source Green County sheriff’s office

• Lyn Smith says:

I thank God for Peta and for being able to get to some of these reprobates and degenerates who get pleasure in torturing animals. I pray for the same pain to come to them 100 fold! God did not mean for Mankind to abuse His animals.

• fran says:

i love what you do! congratulations! i hope more people could join us in this fight you have done a wonderfull job!

• Brian W says:

When i saw the video of those poor innocent helpless pigs I burst into tears and I never cry. I get on my hands and knees everyday and pray to God this abuse ends. Not a day goes by that i dont think of those pigs. I dont believe people will stop eating animals anytime soon but in the meantime we need to preach humane killing i pray to God prop2 in ca passes. I for one will no longer eat red meat and hope to stop eating chickens and turkey some day

• Sheila (Ireland) says:

Thank you so much Peta for all your hard work and for opening peoples eyes. I hope those scummy animal abusers suffer for the rest of their lives. I must admit now dont hate me please i do eat meat from time to time because i believe if meat is banned it would be sold on the black market which would cause even more trouble and suffering for animals but i dont believe that animals should be abused just before they are about to be slaughtered. There should be strict controls and high security in slaughter houses for the safety of the animals. What gives anybody the right to abuse animals even do some are about to be slaughtered? Those workers should be praising that these animals are here residing on this earth with us because at the end of the day unfortunately some animals provide people with food and clothes etc. So people need to be more grateful. Nobody has a right to abuse a living being especially animalsthey do so much for us and give us more than enough love which we should respect. The world would be so different without animals. I hope those scumbags learn their lesson and are locked up for a long long time. Please keep up the good work Peta…. Sheila

• Michael Piretti says:

Good job team. Go peta

• cosmo says:

if u will not stop eating animal foods for kindnes then know that these foods will make your body ferile ground for vd germs to grow in and the viruses that start it are all around easy to spread they can grow from the mucus and waste from animal foods mds know this but dont tell it as there is too much money to be made from the cancers that will form and the sale of drugs to treat them someone must tell the truth about the link of animal foods and all kinds of vd diseases

• Jaquie says:

I would not watch the video i can only imagine the abuse and cruelty lets all hope and pray that these people get what is coming to them.

• DonnaB says:

Thank God for PETA and the accessibility of the internet to show these videos. What a perfect setting for these animals abusers. One day we’ll look back and wonder how these places could have ever existed. Of course they wouldn’t if we all stopped eating slaughtered animals. Pigs are highly intelligent too how horrible for them they are very aware of what’s going on. I had no idea these house of horrors exited!!!!

• Shreyas says:

An excellent job indeed by Peta to expose the atrocities faced by the pigs in the Iowa pig farm. I hope more people are inspired by this effort and campaign to end factory farming.

• Twixcookie says:

I don’t want to start a religious debate here but…Stuff like this made me an atheist. What loving god would watch this stuff and not intervene when he could? People say we are the only animals that know what morality is. Animals don’t commit immoral acts. Think about it. Animals are innocents.

• Christine Carrales says:

Congrat. to Peta.The same treatment should be inflicted on those guiltyto know what its like. GOD BLESS PETA and all those associated.

• David Tremain says:

Thanks to everyone who works or interns at PETA especially the courageous souls who serve as undercover investigators! Keep up the good work! As for the boys that perpetrated these crimes undoubtedly they are convinced that they are not only “men” but also a cut above the rest. The truth is that there isn’t anything remotely special about them brainless sadistic life forms like these are a dime per threehundred dozen. REAL courage conviction and character as displayed by PETA’s undercover investigators for example now THAT is unique.

• THOMAS STEVENS says:

THANK GOD!!!! I DONT KNOW WHAT JUSTICE IS HOW CAN YOU JUSTIFY TORTURE AND KILLING? IT CANT EVER BE TAKEN BACK. GOD IS JUSTICE AND GOD IS LOVE AND GOD IS WATCHING AND GOD IS JUDGING AND GOD LOVES JUSTICE IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST. AMEN.

• Courtney K says:

“If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit for whatever happens to the beast happens to the man.”Chief Seattle I am happy to see that karma will make her way around. Thank you for this site and keeping us updated!

• Teri Johnson says:

I would like to thank PETA and everyone involved in the exposure of these disgusting socalled human beings. 2 years is not nearly enough but if Karma really works they’ll get the same treatment in jail! An eye for an eye. KUDOS to you all! Christine I can’t believe you think just because someone can’t watch the video quote “just dont give a fk to look are disgusting heartless people.” I give my hard earned money to several animal organizations every month and sign petitions daily on Care2 and PETA when notified and also write my Senators and Congressmen because I love ALL God’s creatures. To see an animal tortured is to be scarred for life. I don’t need to watch a video to know! I already know my pet pig was slaughtered in front of me when I was only 9 years old and I have never forgotten the look on her face when they slit her throat or forgotten her squeals till she took her last breath. Now how does that make me a disgusting heartless person?! I still cry today at 45 years old for all the animals baby seals horses dogs cats rabbits mice pigs donkeys and every other of God’s creatures that get tortured by humans for their consumption andor fur. It’s bad enough to see pictures all over the internet let alone watch a video! It’s disgusting but I don’t believe it will ever end. Most humans believe they are superior and that makes them have to show their power to those that are helpless. I thank God every day for PETA and several other organizations for their work to at least exposeprevent the torture humans inflict upon all the beautiful creatures of this world. GOD IS WATCHING and this type of person will pay dearly when they meet their maker.

• Brittany says:

omfg y do they do that to pigs ??…’wat if i stuck that effin jerks leg in a fence and hit him and zap him even if he couldnt get out its not fair how they get away with this and its pretty bad when a 12 year old says this thats me…how can they get away with this?shouldnt the cops be involved in this?i am so mad at these ppls…

• catherine says:

this horrible animal abuse is AGAINST THE LAW!!!so why have they been getting away with it for so long?It is definitely ILLEGALI thought this is USA where laws are enforced

• xstevenx says:

this made my day but hopefully this makes hormel open thier eyes to what they are truely doing or face more justice

• Susan says:

May I say…IT’S ABOUT TIME! Unfortunately we have to take baby steps to get where we are going. But at least through PETA we are going to get there! In my opinion the penalties imposed on animal abusers are not stiff enough. I mean how can a “normal” human being inflict pain andor torture on a living being? I don’t understand these people. Obviously they don’t see what they are doing is wrong. The only way to stop them is by punishment. Thanks again to PETA for opening up my eyes to the horror of what happens to animals that are raised for human consumption. I have gone Vegetarian and spread the word WHY I chose to do this. If every individual does his own litte share someday the end of cruelty on animal “farms” will come. And SOON I hope!! I watch the videos…I want to turn away but I can’t. Watching the truth hurts.

• Justin says:

you guys know that this isn’t what it is like at every farm. I know because i work at one

• marisa montalvo says:

I like the fact that you guys work full time for defending these animals. It makes my day when those jerks go to trial for cruelty. I HOPE THEY GET WHATS COMING TO THEM!

• Linda Long says:

congratulations to PETA. take those bastards and take a rod and run it up their butt and spray paint in their eyes. take all these crumbs buckets and stick them in a 4×4 ft pen covered in shit and piss and let them lay in it. like these poor animals lay in it. I wish anyone that eats animal FLESH would choke on it. we can live very nicely with out animal flesh. go get them PETA

• Gina says:

Great spectacular but is the manager you know the prick that allowed the abuse to go on was involved in it himself finally fired from the pig plant or is he still allowed to work there? Last I heard he was not fired continues to come in contact with the animals. Isn’t that a travesty if he still gets to keep his pathetic scum sucking job?

• leti says:

GREAT JOB KEP GOING PETA

• Aline says:

GOD BLESS YOU ALL for your hard work and for devoting your life to protect Gods creatures. Take care Aline From Brazil

• Maria says:

Hi Your link is not working properly. I want to send a followup letter to Hormel as you requested but I keep getting a message that I already participated in this action. Please have the webmaster reset the link to accept this new letter to Hormel. Thanks!

• Gina Dalvesco says:

They should have to work at animal shelters for the two years.

• Maureen Haase says:

Thank goodness for an organization such as PETA to undercover these atrocities. I can only imagine the horror for the undercover person who is filming and watching the despicable acts of these evil creatures heshe must have nightmares about it as I know I would. I began a vegetarian 15 years ago because I was concerned about the amount of hormones pumped into animals and the cancerous effects. In the years to follow I am glad that I am a vegetarian almost vegan because of my compassion for all animals. I believe that these individuals should be prosecuted to the fullest degree of the law and the punishment should fit the crime.

• Debbie Stone says:

GREAT JOB PETA. I accidently clicked the video at the pig farm I know that I can not watch these films even though I work enough with PETA to know what goes on in those horrid places. I have not admit I did not sleep for two nights and still have the awful images of the pigs being abused. I know that someone has to do it but if it were me I would have had to put an end to the pig’s suffering by getting rid of that AND I COULD HAVE DONE IT WITH NO PROBLEM.

• vegancoin says:

Heartless people with zombie morals. This is sickening and disgusting. This kind of abuse needs to stop. Good job PETA.

• Bob R - Colorado says:

Kuddos to PETA for coming through again. The only problem only two years of jail time. I believe in a eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. Let’s hang the bastards.

• Sheralyn says:

I will NEVER EVER buy anything Hormel brand again and I’m glad I was able to send a contribution to PETA. Put all those animal abusers in JAIL!

• Fher says:

Fantastic!!! Thank you for your honorable actions… I’m mexican and my english isn’t very well… but i love the animals specially the pigs!!!

• Stephanie Veiga says:

after watching the footage i was disgusted ive never really wishes death upon anyone this was the first time must love seeing metal bars now eh.

• Mich says:

Thanks PETA for all your great work. I am proud to be a supporter of your group as well as contributing pledge money each month to your special Undercover Investigations Division. If not for the courageous people who risk personal injury to expose the cruelties to animals that exist many appalling behaviors towards these innocent creatures would go unnoticed and unchanged. Thank you for speaking up for those defenseless and voiceless creatures who suffer unimaginable torture and pain.

• kyle says:

glad to see “some” results…. but not sure it’s going to be enough. I get the impression that all of this will only be considered a misdemeanor with only a slap on the wrist for punishment. and this may sound horrible but I believe all the guilty parties should experience each and every act that the pigs had to endure.

• keith says:

I have just had a response from Hormel. Talk about whiter than white carefully worded garbage. Peta keep the pressure on this compamy.

• Charity says:

Stop the cruel torture!! These facilities should require surveillance cameras! That would help stop the idiots that thrive on abuse!

• Tammy says:

thank you PETA what would the animals do without you. I am from Canada so I am not sure what products hormel produce. Can someone let me know so I can boycott them if they come up here??? Those idiots will get whats coming to them one day. Its called ‘KARMA’.