22 Charges Filed Based on PETA Investigation at Hormel Supplier

Written by PETA | October 22, 2008

It’s with a proud and ecstatic heart that I report this news today! Our investigation into an Iowa pig farm that breeds piglets destined for Hormel has resulted in 22—that’s right, count them—22 criminal charges.

The Greene County Sheriff just announced in a news release that six individuals employed by the farm at the time of PETA’s investigation now face a total of 22 counts of livestock neglect and abuse. Those charged include a former farm manager—who we understand still works on another pig factory farm—and a supervisor, as well as two individuals who still punch the clock at the Iowa factory farm as we speak.

A whopping 14 of the counts are aggravated misdemeanors—the stiffest possible charges under Iowa state law for crimes committed against farmed animals—carrying up to two years behind bars. To PETA’s knowledge, this is unprecedented.

Charges based on PETA’s undercover investigations are now pending against pig factory farmers in both Iowa—the nation’s top pig-raising state—and North Carolina, which occupies the second rung on that dubious list!

This is a small victory for farmed animals, but we mustn’t forget that Hormel, which financially supports this farm, has by all appearances yet to make any changes as a result of this investigation. It has refused to meet with us or even watch all of the footage, which we have repeatedly offered to show the company. Maybe now that the law has spoken up, Hormel will finally listen.

Please, urge Hormel to take action now.

Written by Christine Doré

Comments

• Evelyn says:

I commend people who speak up and take a stand to the righteous things. Karma is active and when things come back it comes back when you least expect it! Kudo’s for the action PETA for all your hard work! That’s why I continue to spread your site and remain a member for many years!

• viki eredia says:

I just want to say thank you to anyone involved in getting these people prosecuted.They Should do at least 15 to 20 years for this Thank You Viki

• MA Moore says:

IT IS TIME TO THINK OUTSIDE THE CAGE. THE FACT THAT THIS MOTHER PIG COULD NOT WALK BECAUSE HER HIND LEGS HAD ROTTED OFF DUE TO A LIFETIME SPENT INSIDE A CAGE SO SMALL SHE COULD NOT MOVE IS A DISGRACE. I AM HOPING AMERICA FOLLOWS EUROPES LEAD IN FREE RANGE SUSTAINABLE ORGANIC FARMING. EUROPE DISCONTINUED CONFINEMENT PRACTICIES YEARS AGO. THANK YOU PETA FOR DOING GODS WORK HERE ON EARTH.

• Regena says:

This is wonderful news! Thank you PETA and all your supporters. Danielle Bilak is right on the money. I said it before and will say it again virtually all serial killers start their evil lives abusing animals. And I have no doubt these sorry excuses for “men” abuse their wives and children. It is a crying shame they will only get two years in prison if convicted. All that will do is make them meaner. In my humble opinion they would learn a more important lesson if they could be treated exactly the way they treat the poor pigs and piglets! But whatever happens to them WAY TO GO PETA!

• Shari says:

Corporate world IS satan we are in a PACT with the DEVIL and we’ve GOT to get OURSELVES back to the garden… The Garden Of Eden THAT IS where it ALL started to GO WRONG where we got caught in a bargain between God and the Devil as God gives ALL entities including his beasts FREE WILL TO EVERYTHING in the universe a kind of metaphysical law… HELL even the devil gets free will to TRY and destroy humanity from the inside out. We’ve GOT to get back and RIGHT whatever it was that we did wrong and to somehow KNOW the place and REESTABLISH a relationship with God that is STRONGER than our CURRENT victim relationship with the devil capitalism corporatism greed materialism militarism. etc and if you are STILL IN THE DARK my friends TURN ON TUNE IN http://www.infowars.com and WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!! If THEY can do this to the non human animals IMAGINE the plans they have for YOU ‘ This is NO longer a nation UNDER God…. As it’s stated You are either with US or you are WITH the terrorists LOL!!!! PEACE LOVE TRUTH

• Amanda says:

I cried when I saw her eyesthey were staring back at me begging for me to help her. I will help you !!

• Chris Sabo says:

I hope these heartless sick bastards get what’s coming to them while in jail. I don’t believe 2 yrs. in prison’s long enough for these thugs for what they did to all those poor defenseless pigs! Keep up the great work PETA!! Go Vegetarian!

• MA Moore says:

THE BEHAVIOR OF THESE ABUSERS MATCHES THAT OF A SERIAL KILLER ON THE FBI’S MOST WANTED LIST. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE REMOVED FROM SOCIETY PERMANENTLY. THANK YOU PETA!!!

• LaKesha T says:

Also wouldn’t it be nice if someone in jail rapes them with a cane you know so they can see what it feels like!

• LaKesha T says:

I just recently became a member of PETA and wow is this a great thing to see. Our letters and email forwards have maybe helped in some way! GO PETA

• Mary Ann says:

I just watched some of the video and had to stop. Those aren’t men that are doing that to the pigs THAT IS SATAN himself. I wish I could have just 5 mins with those jerks and I would kick them put a rod up their butts and see how they like it. They are a bunch of pussies!!! They will go to HELL when they die. Not men at all!!

• Vicki, Apple Valley, MN says:

Great job PETA. I have written two letters to Hormel. I received a response for my first letter denying any affiliation with this Iowa farm. No response to my second letter thus far. I will continue to badger Hormel for as long as it takes. My family and friends are boycotting ALL Hormel products and I continue to advise others of their practice and request they do the same. The only thing that keeps me sane after viewing only a small portion of the original video is knowing that “God has a special place in HELL for anyone who treats any animal with such cruelty.” Praise God and PETA. Many blessings

• Shari says:

To Laura Harrington SORRY to BURST your bubble Laura but as long as you CONTINUE to eat from death YOUR victims WILL continue to ENDURE this type of abuse… Do NOT CONDONE your meat addiction on THIS page by your FANTASY of ENSURING humane treatment of the animals you eat as YOU are JUST AS GUILTY as the prosecuted perpetrators AND there are NO defense about it! What you are stating above has MADE you the FOOL that YOU have just made yourself out to be…..HYPOCRISY my friend is a TOTAL TURN OFF in MY eyes and a sin BEYOND REPAIR. You had BETTER WAKE UP as living in this DREAM WORLD you CHOSE to exist in so you can CONTINUE to pursue your PETTY desires has caused you to become UNAWARE of REALITY! WAKE UP SILLY ONE EVERYBODY! If you are a meat addict with NO plans of recovering PLEASE leave your comments OFF this page and TO YOURSELF as you are the causes and reasons for this HOLOCAUST to remain in existence you ARE GUILTY as charged!! HEY DEBBIE…hmmm isn’t it peculiar how someone who’s ‘just doing his job’ ends up on the WRONG side of the law on his way to jail??? odd isn’t it? NOT the BRIGHTEST STAR in the sky ARE YA? PEACE LOVE TRUTH

• Isabel says:

GO PETAAAAAA!!!!

• valri says:

This is horrible!! These violent and heartless people need to go to jail and caged like the animals that they are. I am absolutelt mortified and so saddened by the video. Thank God for Peta..

• gem says:

I dread to think if Peta had not uncovered this at this particular pork supplier.. it truly is loathesome and upsetting to think of animals suffering so ‘behind closed doors’.. Grt job PeTA.. you are truly the animals friend and ‘voice’.. hope those culprits involved will be named and shamed. given the boot .. and have a permanent record on their ID forever for cruelly and maliciously enjoying and getting a kick out of abusing animals.. it’s humans like these that are really the PITS of the pits .. I’m ashamed to be same species as these people !! they are WORSE than animals atleast animals kill for food or maim out of self defence or territorial .. animals dont’ go around mistreating or abusing other animals for the ‘fun’ of it.. like these morons dodid and many other humans in the same ilk..

• Shari says:

EXCELLENT job PETA and ONCE AGAIN THANKS SO MUCH to the ones behind the camera they have got some HARD CORE self discipline to stand behind the camera and allow the abuse to stand. THEY are the heros!! OK so we got the employees and like I ALWAYS say HORMEL has its lobbyists so they can BUY BRIBE to continue on with business AS USUAL…you can clearly see it the ARROGANT GREEDY bastards won’t even view the video NO BIG DEAL their $$$$ does the talking! Again the ONLY way to END the VICIOUS abuse is to STOP eating meat it’s the ONLY way SORRY to say BUT with PETA lurking behind every closed door ‘ these multi million dollar corps WILL NOT continue on with their HORRIFIC deeds IN THE DARK in HOPES that the meat addict consumer will BEGIN to SEE THE LIGHT on this issue and choose the ETHICAL way of survival. Just wanted to add LOOK at her laying there with her blue spray painted face and NOT antibiotics like one DOPE up here claimed geez NOTICE the HUMILIATION in her eyes just BREAKS my heart to pieces… The soul IS the SAME in ALL living creatures although the body of EACH is different. PEACE LOVE TRUTH God BLESS the Beasts AND the ONE behind the camera ‘

• Sally says:

I live in a small town in northwest Iowa. The Hormel story is all over the news. My heart is sad for these animals. Education is the key to preventing these kinds of EVIL acts against animals. I have consumed meat my entire life. I am 49 years old. I am trying to reduce my intake of meat everyday as I am not sure how to make the transition to not eating meat. PETA has raised my conscience enough that I am making an effort to try and change my diet. I hope that these individuals who committed these heinous acts against those innocent pigs have plenty of time to think about what they did while possibly sitting in prison.

• Kandi says:

I watched the video… I cried at work.. I dug deeper into PETA and found more disturbing videos on ALL animal treatment. I am having a hard time with it. A friend suggests that local farmers and butchers for food… I have a hard time ordering any beefpork and hate to see the semi’s that carry the baby cows for veal…. God did not put these animals here to hurt..

• Kelly says:

Thank you PETA.

• Daisy says:

Kudos Peta ! all of your hard work and all of our letter writing has paid off !

• ALesha says:

Do you know what is odd? When I contacted Hormel about the issue they claimed that they did not own this factory. However when I emailed back and asked them if they “purchase” from this factory I received no response. They deserve everything they are getting and more! Those people that did those things are sick and should be prosecuted.

• Jacquelyn says:

I have not seen the original video nor do I care to. I have done so much crying over sheep bunnies cows etc. But I do want to say… GREAT JOB PETA I LOVE YOU

• Laura Harrington says:

Even if we cannot stop people from eating meat it is important that we ensure the animals used for human consumption are treated with respect and care. It makes me sick and sad that humanes would abuse innocent animals. I am pleased that these horrible individuals are being punished.

• glenn mcmaster says:

best newswell done of peta.We pray everyday for those pigs and this fuckers who abused them must be killed in jail.

• Beth Hamilton says:

I pray that we can help these poor animals. What I just watched was so disturbing I can not understand how anyone could do something like this and live with themselves. Thank god for PETA

• Heather Valente says:

Thank God for PETA! I am so proud to belong to this organization! I am forwarding this link to all the “nonPETA believers”! May all these “people” rot in hell who commit these horrible acts towards animals. Actually…that’s a good new name “Horrible Hormel”!

• TDavis says:

I am simply appalled! I will not purchase anything ever again from hormel.

• Holly says:

Thanks God for PETA…I am so thrilled that charges have been laid..it broke my heart to watch that video I couldn’t bare seeing what I saw..such cruelty….keep up the Good work PETA this is a fight that MUST BE WON.

• Jennifer says:

That is incredible news! I am so happy that charges have been filed. I hope those guys get what they deserve!!!

• MA Moore says:

If this abuse continues there will come a plague so big it will wipe Hormel consumers off the face of the Earth! CONGRATULATIONS INGRID AND PETA FOR BRINGING THIS GROSS ABUSE TO LIGHT AND PURSUING CONVICTIONS FOR THIS CRIMINAL CONDUCT. GOD BLESS YOU PETA!!!!!!!

• Erika Soerensen says:

Absolutely Fabulous! It’s about time that states notice the seriousness of animal cruelty not just to the poor and defensless animals but to the public as well. It’s a fact that people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse others especially those less fortunate. Way To Go PETA! Let’s keep on being “the change we seek in the world!”

• Magen says:

Ok so yesturday i didnt even realize that animals get treated to badly. Its terrible how they treat animals. i am so glad that something is being done. It makes my day.

• emma says:

im so pleased about this outcome they all deserve it and more.. i have to say that the undercover people have the horific job of standing back and not being able to smack these people as i know i wouldnt beable to stop myself well done peta i love it when you are able to announce good news instead of the horrible news..

• Traci says:

This is fantastic! I have never gotten over this video and can no longer eat pork. It makes me sick to think that human beings can inflict this kind or cruel torture. I am so glad to hear that these thugs are going to be held accountable. We must see it through to prosecution!!! Thank you PETA!!!

• Solun says:

Im also really pround on PETA. Keep up the good work!

• Danielle Bilak says:

What makes these losers think they have the right to object rape and spray paint the face of animals? These lowlifes need to do some hard time and hopefully get their faces spray painted and their bodies object raped to know what the poor animals had to go through. These jerks are serial killers in the making. Most probably beat their wives and children andor have criminal records. I hope the judge throws the book at all of them. Lowlifes like these make America look bad. Willing to bet a lot of them are illegals.

• Eilish says:

Great job peta hope these people get what they deserve they poor animals should never have been treated like this its heart breaking.

• molly says:

WELL DONE !!!

• Carla says:

If we can make an example of a very few this could possibly set standards for the future. Eyes are watching!! And if you feel it’s your right to abuse an animal you also may pay a price literaly!! Way to go to all involved and to the private investigators cause without you this wouldn’t have ever been exposed!! Go veg everyone and trully make a pig smile!!

• chrissy says:

I am so happy that finally charges have been filed. I have been thinking about this story ever since the first time I saw it on your site. It has haunted me ever since. While I honestly haven’t moved over to a completely meat free lifestyle I will NEVER EVER eat pork again.

• Curtis says:

Great news! I will spread this around

• Kelly says:

I’m glad the charges were pressed and only UP TO two years in prison is ridiculous though. They should be there WAY longer than that. I don’t know how you guys do it. I wouldn’t be ablt to tape that footage and just sit there and watch. I would end up grabbing the pole and bashing all of the sickos who work there repeatedly until they were uncoscious and then I would end up in jail. ha. I give you props. Good job keep up the good work.

• Thomas says:

A letter writing as well as personal appearances at all court proceedings is imperative. We need to push for convictions on ALL counts. Sentencing needs to be consecutive on each count.

• Theresa Huskey says:

Hello thank you God for these people getting in trouble it is about time. praise god. Theresa Huskey

• Shirin Ighani says:

AS A HORMEL CUSTOMER FAMILY FRIENDS AND COWORKERS AND COLLEAGUES HAVE BAN ALL HORMEL PRODUCTS DUE TO THIS EMAIL THAT HAS BEEN CIRCULATING IN OUR OFFICES NATIONWIDE. I AM SHOCKED AND ANGERED YOU HAVE NOT TAKEN ACTION AND CHANGED YOUR WAYS TO ENSURE THE SAFETY AND KEEPING THE FACILITY CRUEL FREE. SHIRIN

• NT says:

I hope those guys go to jail and someone sticks a metal rod up their arses.

• Denise Branch says:

Peta your undercover investigations are a valueable service!! Great job!!!

• Phyllis says:

FANTASTIC! This is amazing. Let us know who the prosecutor is so we can wrote him or her and urge maximum time. Bravo kudos and many many thanks to the brave person or persons who went undercover to get the evidence needed to expose these crimes. Now I’m going to send my demands for reform and enforcement to Hormel once again.

• ABBY says:

JUSTICE SHOULD BE SERVED OR AT LEAST FINED. WHICH PROBABLY ISN’T ENOUGH TO STOP THESE PEOPLE WHO TREAT LIVESTOCK LIKE HOG CRAP. I PRAY EVERYDAY THAT SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN IT’S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME.