100,000 Pounds of Beef Recalled by Richwood Meat

Written by PETA | April 23, 2007

Ground Beef.jpgFears of E. coli contamination have prompted California-based Richwood foods to recall more than 100,000 pounds of beef from grocery stores. The scare comes after three children became seriously ill. You can read about the story here if it hasn’t come across your radar yet, but if you’re in the mood for a little bit of “I told you so” posturing from yours truly, stick with me.

In order to line the wallets of its executives, the meat industry crams animals by the tens of thousands into filthy sheds that are contaminated by feces, vomit, and other bodily fluids. Leaving aside the ethics of this practice for a second (which, well, you can probably guess where I stand on that issue), what this means from a health perspective is that most of the flesh from the 10 billion animals a year killed for meat in the U.S. is contaminated with dangerous bacteria like E. coli, campylobacter, and listeria. The fact is that this recall shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone—and it definitely won’t be the last. Anyway, it’s good that these products are being recalled when kids start getting sick, but if the meat industry wants to be consistent, it might want to pay attention to the significant role it plays in the 700,000 annual deaths from heart disease in this country, just for starters.

In other relevant news, companies like Boca and Morningstar Farms make these really delicious, 100 percent disease-free veggie burgers, which you can find at any grocery store. I’m just saying.

Comments

• Yana says:

It is just horrible to watch on the news how these animals were treated.It is a shame for those people who did such a thing.

• Nancy says:

Beth First of all kudos for taking some steps even if you haven’t made “the leap” yet. At least you’re doing SOMETHING. As to your questions I could be mistaken but I believe a lot of commercial steak sauces contain anchovies or Worcestershire sauce which contains anchovies. But my guess is that’s included mainly for the salt content… perhaps you could make your own and substitute capers? I’m no chef though so you might want to check websites like httpwww.veganfood.net for recipes. I do however know something about Morningstar Farms products. If you’re struggling with missing the taste of beef I’d recommend their Prime Grillers over the BetterthanBurgers. Their veggie bacon also makes a very convincing BLT. The veggie sausages are pretty tasty too. Also I don’t know what area you’re in but if you have a Trader Joe’s nearby they have excellent meatless meatballs. They were first recommended to me by a carnivorous friend. Hope this helps. Figuring out what the alternatives are is usually the hardest part. You might also want to order PETA’s Vegetarian Starter Kit if you haven’t already I believe it’s free. Good luck and thanks for giving it a go!

• Canaduck says:

I would assume you could find vegan steak sauce Beth. Just check the ingredients listsbut I really would guess that most are vegan without intentionally being so. I can’t give you any recs in regards to Morningstar unfortunately but I’ve heard from others that they are good. Have you tried steak sauce on their faux steak products? Anyway good luck on becoming vegetarian!!

• Beth says:

I haven’t made the leap yet but I’m getting there. Still occasional steak I know I know I gotta stop help! but I enjoy the Boca Burgers crumbles in chili and spaghetti sauce and the Morningstar Chik’n Nuggets. Here’s my question…I could give up steak but not steak SAUCE. What else is it good on besides mushrooms? Is it vegan or do I need to find a brand that is? Is this a total oxymoron? And how are the Morningstar steak and chik’n strips really?

• Caroline says:

100000 pounds of beef! Im just alarmed at the number of animals who had to be killed for this. This is just another case which points out that there are no proper ethical standards maintained by the meat industry. Hopefully through instances like this people will resort to vegetarianism at least for their own health purposes if not for compassion towards animals. Caroline

• Scott says:

veggie burgers are the best…but veggie sausages are better

• kris shulfer says:

EDUCATE YOURSELVES IGNORANT PEOPLE WHERE DO YOU THINK THE MEAT YOU PUT ON YOUR TABLE COMES FROM HUMAINLY TREATED ANIMALS WHO ARE CARED FOR LOVINGLY NO!! THEY ARE EXTREMELY MISTREATED AND ABUSED IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE IT GETS WORSE!! KOSHER MEAT IS THE WAY TO GO IF YOU MUST EAT MEAT OR DONT EAT IT AT ALL!!

• kelly says:

Let’s see. SARS. Bird flu. Mad cow disease. E Coli. And don’t some researchers believe that Aids originated in humans who ate monkeys? Why would anyone eat meat? Or give it to kids?