10 Best Meals in Norfolk, Va.
I first put a version of this list together when a couple of my friends were moving away from Norfolk, Va. and it got me thinking about where I would eat my last meals in Norfolk if I were ever to move away (Don’t worry Ingrid, I never will!). So here’s a list of the 10 best meals Norfolk has to offer, voted on by a panel of me.
10. Machismo—Boca Burrito with all the veggies and vegan sour cream and vegan cheese. I think maybe machismo means “Home of the Monster Burrito” in Spanish.
9. Dragon City—Vegetable Dumplings as an appetizer followed by vegan General Tso’s Chicken. It’s Chinese fast food just as you want it—greasily delicious!
8. Taco Bell—Two Crunch Wraps with beans substituting beef, no nacho cheese, no sour cream, add guacamole. Taco Bell is wonderfully delicious (that’s right, I said it), but I’m including it on my list because the employees there are so nice. Who would’ve thought it’d be the Taco Bell employees who would be the nicest?
7. Yorgo’s Bageldashery—Chickette Sandwich on a Poppy Seed Bagel with a Toasted Sesame Seed Bagel with Vegan Cream Cheese. It shouldn’t be special to have vegan cream cheese at a bagel shop, but it is, so kudos to Yorgo’s.
6. Rajput—Vegetable Samosa as an appetizer (of course!) followed by some Palak Tofu as the main course. It’s always been a dream of mine to write a book of reviews of samosas. I essentially never pass up the opportunity to order one. The owners of Rajput are super friendly, I love the copper cups, and I really love the Palak Tofu.
5. Kotobuki—Veggie Sushi and some fake meat dish (hmm… lets go with the teriyaki ham). Something about funky table and being forced to take off my shoes really makes me like it there. Plus I love courses – and when you get a salad, sushi, and a main dish you’ll get plenty. And if you order enough sushi then it comes on a wooden boat (a boatload of sushi!)
4. Tap House—Chickette Sandwich. It’s not just the food that makes me love Tap House, though I do like the newish chickette sandwich and their fries are delicious. I also give the Tap House points because it’s nice that Neil knows what I drink—though I guess water isn’t the most difficult order to remember…Oh, and while eating there put in some of quarters in the wonderful indie rock filled juke box and play some pool.
3. Bangkok Garden—Spring Rolls for an appetizer; Garlic Tofu for the main course. This one kinda goes without saying. Garlic Tofu is just such a staple I always feel like I should order something different but I have so much trouble bringing myself to.
2. Amalfi—Veggie pizza with faux chicken and soy cheese; Vegan Cheesecake for dessert. It’s a little pricier than most of these other meals but amazingly delicious—’nuff said.
1. Bella’s Pizzeria—Soy cheese pizza Bianca-style, with olives and broccoli. The soy cheese novelty/wonderfulness makes Bella an easy choice as my favorite. It’s the one restaurant I really crave going to and conveniently it’s the restaurant closest to my home.There’s a lot more great food in Norfolk, these are just my favorite meals. If you’ve visited Norfolk or live here, post your favorite meals that the area has to offer. And if you’re on the fence about wanting to apply to work for PETA I hope this run down of some of the wonderful food in the area helps push you along the way. – Joel