1,000 Pigs Starve to Death on PA Farm

Written by PETA | November 10, 2010

It’s been an especially bad month for animals on factory farms. Thousands of animals died in fires over the past couple weeks, hens at a Nebraska egg farm were going to be ground up alive until PETA stepped in, and we now have word that nearly 1,000 pigs starved to death after apparently being abandoned on a farm in Fulton County, Pa.

The pigs were discovered by the estranged wife of the farmer who reportedly vacated the property several months ago—and apparently left hundreds of pigs and several calves behind to die. According to a humane society police officer who responded to the scene, evidence indicates that the animals were trapped inside barns and “struggled and fought to get out.”

Union Township Supervisor Gary Sheeder, who is an acquaintance of the farm’s owner, was appalled by scale of the tragedy. “I can’t believe, with as many kids as he had, that life didn’t mean more to him,” he told a reporter.

The real estate agent who is handling the sale of the death trap farm was more sanguine: “I think this is very normal in a lot of farming operations, that you’re going to have dead animals.”

Yeah, our undercover investigators have noticed that too.

Fortunately, authorities are taking the case seriously, and several state and local agencies—including the humane society, the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, the state Department of Environmental Protection, and the Pennsylvania State Police—are investigating and are considering pressing charges. Check back for updates as we learn more.

Written by Alisa Mullins

Comments

• Jasmine Chen says:

oh perleeeeeeeeease… this is the stupidest excuse i have ever heard for abusing innocent animals.. “I think this is very normal in a lot of farming operations, that you’re going to have dead animals.” disgusting! how these “people” live with themselves, i dont have a clue!

• Linda says:

“Considering pressing charges”? This monster needs to be locked up for life. How nice that he has kids who he has no doubt either mistreated or taught to be a heartless sadist as he is. There is absolutely no excuse, no reason or justication for this abomination.

• Irene says:

It’s disgusting what humanity is capable of.

• meg says:

how can anyone be so cruel? i just can’t stop crying. as gandhi said – we must be that change we wish to see in the world. come on, people, get active. educate. and i pray that those responsible are never allowed to have a farm, another animal, ever and serve years in prison.

• Susan Trout says:

The sheer magnitude of this suffering is beyond human comprehension. I cannot imagine being a human being and walking away from these creatures, knowing they are completely helpless and will die horrible, agonizing deaths. I spoke to a reporter at a news service who talked with the real estate agent. I specifically zeroed in on her “matter-of-fact” comment that she had been to the property just three weeks ago and didn’t “notice” anything. My God! A thousand decomposing pigs and she didn’t NOTICE anything? The reporter shared that that particular comment drew lots of counter comments from as far away as Alaska. If the authorities don’t bring the maximum charges against this couple, then I lose all hope for justice for animals in Pennsylvania. And, I may be off the mark, but if I were the judge and the real estate agent was called in to testify, I’d ask her why she thought finding dead animals strewn around a farm is acceptable? No decent, caring farmer would ever treat his livestock so callously. Ever!

• Chelsey says:

The sad thing is, the people who let all of those pigs die are pretty much my neighbors. That guy lived only a few minutes away from me. It’s disgusting what people these days are coming to. This makes me glad to be a vegetarian.

• diane says:

I’d like to know if the real estate agent is going to held partially responsible? Saying that she knew there were dead animals and that the farm was vacant of people, why didn’t she alert authorities?

• Sheena says:

This is sooo horrible, I can’t believe these people can be so inhumane! It makes me extremely sad and angry to see animals treated this way!

• Lin says:

Thank you PETA for bringing these images and information to us all – we cannot allow anyone to deny the cruelty and getting the images is the only way to prove it to the public. The perpetrators need to me prosecuted and banned from keeping ANY animals again. Keep up the good work, PETA.

• Dee Foster says:

This man should be prosecuted on live TV. He should not only pay a huge fine, but also do time. Why didn’t his wife report this sooner? If she knew she should be prosecuted also!!!!

• j says:

this is not humanity,,this is pure evil, whether its a slaughter house or a chinese fur farm,,,man is pure evil,,,on 9/11 3000 people were killed by terrorists,,,everyday millions of animals are killed brutally and barbarically by humans,,who is worse,,seems the answer is pretty clear,,,WHEN WILL HUMANS ENTER THE 21ST CENTURY,,,I think never

• dhl says:

what is here to consider? they must press charges! this makes me so angry!

• mike says:

i hope the pig eaters on this earth rot in hell!!!!!!!!! i thought this was a christian nation? yeah right were are all the pastors and christian people standing up to this cruelty?

• lori says:

this makes me literally sick to my stomach!! they need to be prosecuted!!! how would they like to be killed this way!! sick just sick!!

• Joanne says:

It’s heartbreaking to see the pigs suffer and die like that. I never want to eat meat again after watching this vid. This is so horrible.

• Juliane says:

I can’t believe how long PETA has been around and there are still problems like this. Born and Raised in Pennsylvania, I am embarrassed of what this state has done.

• Patty Kuhner says:

The need to find this goon and prosecute him. This is awful, does no one have a concience.

• carol says:

Every day there is some distgusting film of the horrors on these farms – I just cannot believe that these pigs are so brutally treated or that the farmers cannot do the work properly. I believe they just don’t want to spend any money doing the right thing for these animals. In Europe, which also has millions of people to feed, pigs are outside in pig houses and allowed to roam freely on the hillsides. Humane guns are used to stun them and dispatch them before any work is done on them. If we as a nation have to keep producing all this meat then we should have the decency to do it properly and not cause all this stress and untold suffering to these poor animals. I am always horrified at how brutal people can be to animals who cannot defend themselves.The sooner these people are dealt with the better for everyone and mainly for the pigs.

• Natalia says:

“are considering pressing charges” … They shold be in JAIL. No excuses. No matter if you’re vegan, vegetarian or a meat-lover, you can’t deny this is mere CRUELTY.

• LES says:

“Where there are livestock, there are deadstock.”

• GabbyLovesAnimals says:

I hate this. Its one thing to eat meat (witch i try really hard not to) But to really cruely slaughter them? This should be illegal

• GabbyLovesAnimals says:

This made me cry. I love animals !!

• sarah says:

That realstate agrnt needs her head examind becuse this is deffiantly not the norm on farms and ranches