One-Year Law Fellowship
To work with attorneys at the Foundation to Support Animal Protection to provide advice and assistance on a wide range of legal issues that arise in the course of PETA’s work to protect animals through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, and protest campaigns.
Term of Employment:
Full-time, temporary one-year position that may be extended for one year for successful candidates.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Research, interpret, and apply federal statutes and regulations, including the Animal Welfare Act, the Humane Methods of Livestock Slaughter Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Marine Mammal Protection Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, the Administrative Procedure Act and the Freedom of Information Act.
- Research, interpret, and apply state statutes and regulations, including anti-cruelty and open records statutes
- Conduct legal research on a variety of animal protection and animal rights issues, such as standing, the doctrine of judicial review, and First Amendment issues
- Prepare comments for agencies on proposed rulemaking and permit applications
- Assist in the management of litigation in federal and state courts
- Communicate with public interest and private attorneys, prosecutors, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations on a variety of legal issues
- Assist caseworkers, researchers, and campaigners throughout PETA with a wide array of legal issues that arise in their cases
- Work with others to formulate and develop litigation to further PETA’s objectives
- J.D. with 0-3 years of legal experience
- Superior legal research and writing skills
- Experience in animal law, administrative law, environmental law, and/or criminal law is desired, but resourcefulness and innovativeness are highly valued
- Supportive position vis-à-vis PETA’s philosophy and the ability to professionally advocate PETA’s positions on issues
The admission deadline is rolling. Please send a letter of interest, résumé, transcript, legal writing sample, and list of 3 professional references to: Amanda Schwoerke, counsel, at[email protected].